So, did I share with you guys my allergic reaction to one of the chemos last time? I don't remember. Ignore this if I did and skip to the next paragraph. Anyway I started having tightness in my head and chest, red splotches on my face and tummy then my tongue started swelling. So I called the nurse and she stopped the chemo, oxilaplatin. I'm not sure if she gave me a shot but the symptoms subsided quickly. I learned today that I was going into anaphylactic shock and could have stopped breathing so it was more extreme than I thought. ANYWAY.....
So dr. Caton said no more oxilaplatin for me. However, yesterday I saw one of the other oncologist cuz Caton is on vacation. I forgot to mention the allergic reaction but thought for sure the docs would communicate that somehow to each other. When I got to the chemo infusion site today I checked in with the nurses and they said that not only had this other doc not discontinued the oxilaplatin but he actually upped the dose! The pharmacy had flagged it and caught it so I wasn't given that chemo and the nurses would have caught it plus I would not have taken it if push came to shove however, big faux pas on the part of the docs. Major break down in communication. Avi went to the cancer center and talked with the head nurse about it. It's not the first time these docs have not communicated vital info about my case. Does not increase my confidence level.
Sorry...long story. Bottom line is that all is well and I havent had any major side effects yet. I'm planning on having an appetite for our Mothers Day brunch...sounds like fun.
That's all the news fit to print....love you all, MA,MIL
No comments:
Post a Comment