Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hi there...I hope all is well with you. Avi and I got some bad news yesterday at the docs and it's crushed us for awhile.  We're sorting it, processing, digesting and trying to find our path with it.  I'll fill you in and can converse via email but I'm not ready to talk to anyone yet; I'm trying to develop my direction with all of this and hang onto some hope.

I have a tumor on or in my pancreas; it's 3 cm large which the doc says is too large to remove surgically because of where it is.  He says my CA 19-9 tests ( to determine cancer) is high; normal is 50 mine is 800.  This could very likely indicate pancreas cancer, which does not as yet have a cure.  There is a possibility that it is what's called a type LPM tumor which has a better prognosis.  He has referred me to a place that will do an endoscopy to determine what type of tumor it is.  He did not encourage hope and basically implied that if it's PC I should get my affairs in order.  It's a very aggressive cancer and has a low survival rate.

Avi and I came home crushed; we were both basically seeing this as a death sentence.  However, I went on line, got some more information about PC...all of it pretty daunting and read some survivor stories.  There are folks who live years with this after surgery, radiation and/or chemo.   Five years seems to be the optimistic number.  I would take it at this point over a few months!!

Love you both and I appreciate your support.  I'm not wanting to talk about this at Chanukah and it may be a bit awkward but please just hold onto it for now.

SarahLyn

No comments:

Post a Comment